Pages

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Huckabee takes more shots at Palin

In this current firestorm surrounding Palin's treatment by MSM, Mike Huckabee decided it was a good opportunity to take some (more) shots at her, too.

I know a lot of Republicans like him, but I have to say his attitude is very divisive to the Party. Palin isn't the only one he's dissing - he's also taken a few shots at Mitt Romney. During this time when we are simply outnumbered on every front, and have failed pushing our agenda successfully - we don't need this in-party fighting.

Palin succeeded in energizing the Conservative movement, something that hasn't happened in a long time. She's succeeding now, in putting the spotlight on unfair treatment by the media. She's succeeding on still being in the headlines mere days before Obama is sworn in. I would say she's good for the Party, an otherwise lifeless and unenthusiastic cause.

But here Huckabee tries to take her down a notch. He tries to gain support as the martyr, the poor Republican who didn't win the Nomination, and wasn't picked as the Running Mate by the guy who did. It just screams bitter, sour grapes at a time when we should be uniting and working hard, damn hard, to get Conservatives back in office.

He makes a point that the Couric and Gibson interviews were not unfair. They weren't - if they also gave Obama or Biden the same type of interviews, but they didn't. That was the injustice. And any kind of agreement I had with him went out the window when he made the "shopping" comment.

Excerpts from his Esquire article:

Mike Huckabee: The Laughing Man
By A.J. Jacobs

"Now I must say I did not think that either the Charlie Gibson interview or the Katie Couric interviews were unfair. In fact, if anything, Katie Couric was extraordinarily gentle, even helpful. [Palin] just...I don't know what happened. I can't explain it. It was not a good interview. I'm being charitable."

He pauses. "I think it was overpreparation. She'd been hammered by McCain's aides, 'Say this, don't say that.'"

Huckabee has met Palin a few times and talked to her backstage at the Republican National Convention.

"Did you give her any advice?"

"I didn't figure that she was shopping for my advice."

"But she sure was shopping."

"Yeah," chuckles Huckabee. Then stays quiet. I set him up for an easy spike, but he holds his tongue.

And, for old time's sake, here's one of his classic Palin jabs where he says she was only picked because she's a woman, with a little dash of boo-hooing on the side:

From Hot Air (November 24, 2008):

And from that day forward, when I actually was no longer running for President, nobody ever said, ‘Gee, Huckabee would be a great Vice-President.’ ”

Neither was he quite so unperturbed by the Palin pick: “I was scratching my head, saying, ‘Hey, wait a minute. She’s wonderful, but the only difference was she looks better in stilettos than I do, and she has better hair.’ It wasn’t so much a gender issue, but it was like they suddenly decided that everything they disliked about me was O.K. . . . She was given a pass by some of the very people who said I wasn’t prepared.”

No comments: