Pages

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Congratulations to Barack Obama

Congratulations to Barack Obama on winning the election. I remember watching his keynote address during the 2004 DNC and knew he would be someone special in the Democratic Party. Although I greatly disagree with all of his political views, I respect his intelligence and passion. I'm also thrilled we elected the first African-American President.

As a conservative, I didn't vote for him because I don't think he'll be the best President for our country at this time. Most of his policy ideas make me fear for our freedom. But there are two great silver linings in all of this, one of which is that he clearly represents the Left. Now, the Left will have the opportunity to work together and develop their party without placing blame on anyone.

The same goes for the Right. We're currently in an identity crisis. McCain represented the center-right in this election. Obviously, he wasn't a true conservative or even Republican throughout his career. If elected, it would have shaped the party even more center-right than it already is. I think that would have been devastating to the party's future.

I do believe everything happens for a reason. McCain made one heck of a gutsy choice when he chose Palin as his running mate. That was probably the most risky thing he could have done. I applaud him for that. Even though they lost (and they were an amazing team- together, she made up for his shortcomings) the second silver lining is that America was introduced to Sarah Palin. She was invigorating and downright refreshing to the Republican party. She was music to our ears. I only wish I had known who she was sooner.

No comments: