Pages

Monday, May 11, 2009

Twilight Zone: prominent Republican disses Palin, MSM praises her

The planets must have aligned backwards or something yesterday when Bill Bennett fell for a CNN trap and dissed Palin, while the executive producer of Saturday Night Live was effusing with praise for Palin. What a weird day.

Bennett was on CNN yesterday for a discussion about the media's treatment of Republicans. Bennett rightly said that it was silly that they keep smearing Palin like a tabloid (paraphrasing) while not doing their journalistic duty and discussing the real issues, and the other possible candidates for 2012. CNN correspondent John King totally twisted his words (and proved Bennett's point) by saying that Bennett doesn't support Palin herself as a candidate. Unfortunately, Bennett fell for it.

“One of the things the media could do – some of the media – is to move the debate off Sarah Palin and Rush Limbaugh,” Bennett, a CNN Contributor, said on State of the Union. “This is probably not the future of the Republican Party,” added Bennett.

“You don’t think Gov. Palin’s the future of the Republican Party?” queried CNN Chief National Correspondent John King.

“I do not,” said Bennett. “It could talk about a Paul Ryan or a Mike Pence. It could talk about a Bobby Jindal. It could talk even about a John Kyl or a David Petraeus. You know, there’s a lot of talent in this party.”
Bennett's answer is full of nuance. He was talking about the media. He wasn't saying he doesn't support her. I'm sure Bennett supports all the people he listed. I'm sure he even supports Limbaugh, although I haven't researched that yet. But unfortunately his answer will go over most people's heads and the MSM will bring it up if Palin runs in 2012, mark my words. They're gathering a list of Republicans who don't like her so they can say she splits the party.

Meanwhile, SNL executive producer Marci Klein was straightforward with her praise of Palin when she appeared on her show last year.

JULIE MENIN, "Give and Take": Let's talk about Sarah Palin, because she was really the gift that kept on giving. So, what was she like when you first met her on the show?

MARCIE KLEIN, SENIOR PRODUCER "SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE": Well, the first, I actually was the first person to meet her. She, one of the NBC pages, or someone in my office brought her up to the eighth floor, and I was standing there, and I, I, I thought, "Oh my God, she looks just like Tina." I mean, I couldn't believe how much she looked liked Tina. And, Tina was happened to be in my office, and I ran into my office, I shook her hand, and she had incredibly strong, you know, handshake, but I was overwhelmed by how much she physically looked like Tina, and how -- Tina Fey -- and how a lot of people come to our show, actors, musicians, and they're nervous. I mean, you know, "Saturday Night Live, I watched this my whole life." She was not nervous. I thought, "This is the most confident person I've ever met."

MENIN: Do you think that maybe she wasn't nervous because she hadn't watched the show before? Did she say if she'd watched the show before?

KLEIN: I'm sure she watched the show before, I don't know, but I think she's just a person with a lot of confidence. And I think when you see people with confidence, you like that. You know, you trust, you know, you, there's something, there's something to confidence that, that people respond to.

MENIN: So she was very likable?

KLEIN: Well, she was certainly lovely to deal with on our show.

No comments: